CHARLES. W. JOHNSON came to Hebardsville in 1869, and engaged in merchandising in partnership with his father. For thirteen years he occupied a rented house, and one of insufficient capacity to do the business that had grown to such large proportions. IN 1882 he built his present handsome and roomy storeroom, 24x70 feet, and, immediately upon its completion, removed his stock and then added largely to it. In 1881 Mr. Johnson married Miss Emma A. Hatchitt, an accomplished daughter of Rev. A. Hatchitt, of Hebardsville, and unto them have been born two children.
In addition to his large mercantile interest, our subject handles perhaps two hundred thousand pounds of tobacco annually, and farms it upon a small, but paying scale, raising corn and tobacco. he has proven one of the most successful of merchants and business men, and from a moneyless condition in life, he has arisen to that of monied influence, being now the possessor of ample property to successfully carry out any enterprise he may undertake. He is hard working, far seeing, and of the soundest judgment. Politically he is a Democrat of the Jackson type, and is one of the most influential workers in his district. He is highly esteemed by all of his neighbors and friends, and, by honesty of purpose and fair dealing, enjoys a very large patronage. There are no better men in Henderson than Charles W. Johnson.
The History of Henderson County, Kentucky by Starling 1887 page 791-92;
Return to the Henderson County KyGenWeb Home Page